Coming Events
Past Events
Our Staff & Board
Gift Shop
Memberships & Donations
Contact Us
Dr. Long's Ancestry


Medical Gallery: 1880 Two-story Brick Structure
The Museum's Original Home

As a retail structure, the building was painted many times; traces of paint remain.
The building was last overhauled in 1949.

Jefferson's Crawford Long Museum, just off Jefferson City Square, reopened on January 9, 2010 after eighteen months of renovations. The building itself, which suffered from leaks and structural defects, has been refurbished, but museum directors also used the downtime to revamp the exhibits - reinterpreting the story of Long's discovery for another generation of students and historians. 


Decorative shutters, installed in the 1950s, have been removed. The shutters, not original to the building, tended to collect moisture and during winter freeze and thaw cycles caused portions of the brick to "pop." Brick masons familiar with historic construction techniques have repaired the mortar and the building’s structural integrity has been restored. Due to moisture intrusion, the wooden components of the windows suffered from severe deterioration and were beyond repair. Those windows were installed in the 1950s. New, custom windows are exact copies, and incorporate modern energy-efficient features.
Over time – cracking mortar, leaking windows, and access holes for HVAC equipment that did not properly support the entire thickness of the structural wall, have all contributed to extensive water invasion that severely damaged the interior plaster.To facilitate the plaster repair, all of the exhibits in the Crawford Long gallery were removed and stored. This provided the museum's staff the opportunity to inspect the condition of the items. The exhibits were updated prior to reopening. 

The Pendergrass Store


The Pendergrass General Store, part of the museum's three-building complex, was jacked up and leveled. New masonry piers replaced older metal and wooden supports in the store's crawlspace. After allowing the building to "get comfortable" with its new shape, the exterior was repainted.

The entire project had a $200,000 price tag. Half of the funding was provided through a grant from the USDA Rural Development program and the match from money the museum association had on hand at the time ownership of the museum and its assets were transferred to the City of Jefferson September 30, 2007.




 City of Jefferson Ribbon Cutting - January 8, 2010


Docent Laurie Anderson answers
visitors' questions in the
General Store.


Visitors tour the updated
Crawford W. Long Gallery.


Visitors were treated to
complimentary hot chocolate,
coffee and horse-drawn carriage
rides on re-opening day. 


Local and out-of-state visitors lined up
to join "The Friends of the Museum"
membership and tour the newly
updated exhibits.


                28 College Street

 •  Jefferson GA 30549  •  706.367.5307